Principles of Patient’s Rights and Responsibilities National Health Council
- All patients have the right to informed consent in treatment decisions, timely access to specialty care, and confidentiality protections.
- All patients have the right to concise and easily understood information about their coverage.
- All patients have the right to know how coverage payment decisions are made and how they can be fairly and openly appealed.
- All patients have the right to complete and easily understood information about the cost of their coverage and care.
- All patients have the right to a reasonable choice of providers and useful information about provider options.
- All patients have the right to know what provider incentives or restrictions might influence practice patterns.
- Pursue healthy lifestyles.
- Become knowledgeable about their health plans.
- Actively participate in decisions about their healthcare.
- Cooperate on mutually accepted courses of treatment.